Enjoy The Freedom Of
Hiring Vehicles Worldwide

Make Sure You Get Your International Driver’s License

Car Rental with International Driving License

You must pack a lengthy list of things for your trip: a book, sunscreen, and a swimsuit. Also, your license to drive! Because you’ll need your driver’s license if you hire a vehicle. We’ll review all permits so you can pick up your rental car confidently.

Why Do I Need an International Driving License to Rent a Car?

The International Driving Licence (IDL) is essentially a multilingual translation of your individual driver’s license and is just slightly bigger than a passport. However, there are significant differences across nations regarding whether or not you must possess and maintain an IDL throughout your journey. Your personal driver’s license must always be shown with your IDL for acceptance.

As long as the license’s language utilizes the same alphabet as English, international driver’s licenses are frequently recognized in the United States. When thinking about an IDL, the most crucial question is, “Will the police officer be able to comprehend the information on my driver’s license if I am pulled over?” Getting an international driver’s license is strongly advised if the response is no.

Policy for International Driving Licenses in Car Rentals

Customers from the United States, U.S. Territories, or Canada must provide a driver’s license issued by their government with their picture on it. A digital permit cannot be used. The driver’s license must be current for the rental duration.

Active duty members of the U.S. military may produce a home state license that has expired under the following circumstances:

  • Additionally, they display a military I.D.

  • They abide by the state’s license-issuing jurisdiction’s policy on military enlargement. Customers are advised to inquire with the relevant transportation department for further details since these regulations differ by state.

Travelers From Outside Who Are Renting in The U.S. or Canada

To guarantee compliance with the varied licensing rules of the States and Provinces they want to visit, clients should contact the relevant Dmv in advance. The following procedures are used to ensure the client is hanging up a license that seems valid at the time of rental.

Customers arriving from another nation in the United States or Canada must provide the following documents:

  • A valid, untainted driver’s license with a picture from their own country is required.

  • For translation reasons, an international driver’s license is recommended but not required in addition to a home country driver’s license if the home country driver’s license is in a dialect other than English (or rental For French or Canadian ).

  • Suppose the writing on the home country’s driver’s license isn’t in English. In that case, you’ll need an international driving permit (i.e., the alphabet is not an expanded Latin-based alphabet like German or Spanish but is Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc.).

  • Another expert, typewritten translation, may be used in its place if an international vehicle’s license cannot be acquired in the applicant’s country of residence. In either situation, you must also provide your driver’s license from your native country.

  • Only those with international driver’s licenses are permitted to hire cars. A translation of the holder’s home country’s driver’s license, the international driving license is neither a license nor a reliable form of identity.

  • Visitors without U.S. driver’s licenses could be required to provide further proof of identity in specific U.S. locales. A valid passport or, in the cases of Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, and Colorado, a valid Mexican voter registration card, and any necessary travel documents for both incoming and outgoing travel may serve as examples.

Just a Reminder:

  • Driver’s license photocopies are not accepted.

  • There is no acceptance of learner’s licenses.

  • Any license that, on the surface, limits the licensee to the use and operation of a car with some breathalyzer device is not recognized.

If the rental facility cannot independently confirm the customer’s identification or the legitimacy of the temporary license, temporary driver’s rights may be rejected. There could be a need for additional government-issued identification.

How Long Must You Hold a Driver’s License to Rent a Vehicle?

It’s a reasonable inquiry, but we don’t have an immediate response. Depending on the local fleet provider, the location, or the category, the requirements for how long you must hold a driving license might vary significantly. For instance, if you are above 25, your driving record has to be valid for one year in specific locations, regardless of how long you have held your license. However, your age may also play a role! For example, if you are between the ages of 22 and 25, you may need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years. What precisely are the regulations where you’re going? The rental terms for the vehicle you have in mind will detail this.

What If You Leave Your Driving License at Home?

What happens if you pick up your rental automobile and discover at the rental counter that you have forgotten your driver’s license? Even if you have a copy, you will sadly not be permitted to pick up the vehicle without an authentic driver’s license. Is there no solution? Thankfully, there is! Call our vehicle rental specialists right away so we can work with the neighborhood fleet supplier to attempt to transfer the reservation to the name of your traveling companion. Do you have a vacation partner who is also unable to drive? Are you traveling alone? After that, we have no choice except to cancel the reservation. Therefore, make sure your driver’s license is constantly with you. Check everything twice.

What Happens if Your Driving License is No Longer Valid?

It’s possible to expire with your driver’s license. What should I do? You will need to contact our vehicle rental specialists to change the reservation to the name of your traveling partner. If not, we will regretfully cancel your appointment.

renting a car in a foreign country

Can I get an international driving permit online?

Yes you can, While most people know that they need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in a foreign country, many do not know that it is now possible to obtain an IDP entirely online. The process is simple and only takes a few minutes.

To get an IDP, you must first be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license from your home country. You will also need to provide two passport-style photos, a copy of your birth certificate, and proof of residency. Once you have gathered all of the required documents, you can apply for an IDP through our website

We offer 3 options for applying for an IDP. Applying online is the faster option, and you will receive your IDP within 7-10 days.

What countries can you drive to from the United States?

There are many countries that you can drive to from the United States. Depending on where you are starting from, you could potentially drive to Canada, Mexico, or even further south to Central or South America.

If you’re starting from the West Coast, one of the closest countries you can drive to is Canada. The journey would take around two days, and there are many scenic routes that you could take. For example, if you’re starting in Seattle, you could take the ferry across to Vancouver and then head east through the Rocky Mountains.

If you’re coming from the East Coast, Mexico is a much closer option. You could potentially drive there in just a few days, depending on how far south you’re willing to go. There are also many different routes that you could take, depending on what type of scenery you’re interested in seeing.

renting a car in a foreign country

Do I need an international driver’s license to drive in Europe?

If you’re planning on driving during your European vacation, you may be wondering if you need to get an international driver’s license. The answer is that it depends on the country you’re visiting. In most cases, your regular U.S. driver’s license will suffice, but there are a few exceptions.

In order to drive in Austria, for example, you must have an international driver’s license. The same is true for Bulgaria, Germany, and Greece. If you’re renting a car in one of these countries, the rental agency will usually require that you have an international license.

It’s always a good idea to check the requirements of the country or countries you’ll be visiting before your trip. That way, you can be sure that you have everything you need to make your trip as smooth and enjoyable as possible.